Logistics at a Crossroads S2 🎙️Volume 0- The Podcast Is Back—And the Blog Is Riding Shotgun

 


Holding the Line: Logistics at a Crossroads podcast is back and if the podcast is back- you know dang well the blog is going to be involved as well. We will be doing companion posts that will expand on what we discuss on the podcast.

I know the blog has been a little lacking lately.

I'm not saying its been abandoned. Its been out in the yard waiting to be looked at. Given an appointment and a bit of attention. And someone realizes there isn't 48 hours in a day.

Work, school, life, family, podcasts and trying to keep my last brain cell alive. The blog hasn't always received the attention I wanted it to.

I've missed writing on this blog.

I've had something in the works that I've been excited about. Holding the Line: Logistics at a Crossroads is coming back. And the blog will be part of that.

Not in a transcript kind of way. I'm not going to record the podcast and then come on here and tell you word for word what I said.

No, we're not doing that.

The podcast and blog will be companions to each other.

The podcast will allow me to speak about freight, news, individuals, stress and everything else that happens in our day to day that causes us to roll our eyes. "That’s not in the plan."

It will be a spoken conversation.

The blog will allow me to go a little more in depth.

I can add that little field note that would be helpful to a planner. I wanted someone to ask that question before that meeting. Provide a list of questions or how to. Give you the human aspect to a conversation we may have on the podcast or my thought process after I hung up the mic.

Same crossroads. Just different lane.

So, if you listen to one of our episodes you will not see a post here that tells you what I just said.  Each post will focus on one aspect of our podcast episode.

We will be talking about freight cuts. What that means to those of us that have to deal with "efficiency" "capacity" and other buzz words that are being thrown around to justify taking away from people that have bills to pay and experience under their belts.

We will be talking about planners. Not as some wizard that knows what your doing. Or the ones you turn to when everything goes wrong. And for the love of god not that person you cc when you screw something up.

We will talk about training. How to properly train your employees when they are handed a log in and told to ask Dave.

We will talk about drivers, detention, parking, diesel, container fees, peak season (which is no longer seasonal), intermodal, AI, automation and many other things that can happen when a company is trying to do more with less.

Of course we will cover logistics-related topics. Freight, capacity, delays, costs, lanes, rail, ports, customs, equipment and everything that can go wrong in between.

But this series will go deeper into the people who do these tasks.

What to Expect

As I stated before I will be posting here on the blog to accompany each episode. Hopefully I can post on the day it is released or shortly after.

Some posts will be more helpful. You may see some questions to ask before someone decides to change your supplier, destination, delivery date or customer. And why should logistics have to deal with the aftermath.

Some posts will be more in depth. Because we should all know what it’s like to work in an environment that requires you to be on your feet. Always rushing to meet deadlines. And that person closest to the issue never knew about it.

Some posts will be more informative. I will go over some of the lingo that is used when discussing logistics. Demurrage, detention, drayage, dwell, intermodal, free time, exception management, decision rights etc.

And some will be me telling you what everyone is thinking.

Trucks don't show up because you need them. Warehouses don't have capacity because your schedule has room. A contingency plan is not a phone number and a hope. People aren't resilient just because they can survive.

That's our crossroads.

For those who work in the industry

If you work in the logistics/transportation world this is for you. Whether you’re in a warehouse, working on customer service, dispatching, procurement, planning, operations etc. If you are close to freight, you belong here.

If you’re studying logistics/transportation and want to learn more about how things operate this is for you.

If you’re someone who wants to make informed decisions before it comes to the person on the ground. This is for you.

If you don't work in logistics and have experienced someone coming to you to fix an issue they created by changing the plan. Well honey. This world is yours too.

I hope you join me.

The podcast will be back, and the blog will be waking up. Together they will provide you with all aspects of what we do. From freight to containers, deadlines to cost and everything that comes with it.

No sugar coating or corporate happy talk.  Just conversations and helpful information about our industry.

Things to keep in mind

You don't have to listen to every episode or read every post. Find what you are interested in and start there. Share the posts with others that may need it. Leave me a comment. Let me know what you would like to hear about.

There are many roads to our crossroads, and I'll always be here to navigate it with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Logistics at a Crossroads Volume 34: Load Shift: When the Dream Finally Moves Forward

Pay Restructures in Logistics

Navigating a Career Change to Supply Chain Management: A Guide for Professionals